Friday, January 10, 2014

Day Ten of the Painting Challenge - Going with the Flow

Painting and exercising both are difficult to accomplish in a day.  Yesterday I tried to combine going for a walk and painting.   The walk accomplished I started to sketch, but time ran out and I left with with a reference photo, or so I thought.  My camera which has been to the beach too many times, has a grain of sand in its eye, and doesn't always cooperate.  So I had several photos of the frozen river, but not the frame of the scene I had sketched.  I thought about doing something else, but I've been studying Richard Crozier's "Inventing the Landscape", so I decided to go with the charcoal sketch and the photos of the surrounding area.

The good features of this approach is that it is easier to pay attention to the composition and to simplify.  The harder part was getting satisfactory values and colors.

The Thaw
6 x 6 Oil on Gessoed Paper
  






See you all tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment