Monday, January 6, 2014

Day Five of the Thirty Painting each Day Challenge - Autumn Sumac

I'm back to composing the post in the evening after I finish painting and attempting to publishing in the morning, when the light for painting photography is much better.  

Today I wanted to try a painting that used form and color, rather than drawing, as organization.  I worked from a photo of sumac and cropped it so there wouldn't be too much.  It still took twice as long as I thought, the most time since I started.  However I had fun, and didn't struggle, so that was great.

The first painting in this series was on gessoed paper, which was brushier than I would have liked.  I switched mediums to Gamblin solvent free gel to see if it would lend substance to oil on gessoed masonite for this painting.  I was pleased with the result.

Gamblin sent me a sample of this product when I wrote to them complaining of a mangled tube of cadmium yellow sent to me by Jerry's.  Not only did Gamblin replace the yellow but sent three more samples of various products.  Talk about customer service.  I am now devoted.

It's been great looking through Leslie Saeta's blog to see all the paintings that have been posted.




No comments:

Post a Comment