Friday, January 17, 2014

Day Seventeen - Rocks and Water Redux

Still working on images of the mountain stream.   The autumn leaves and the heartbreaking blue October sky made fabulous reflections on the water when I went out for a plein air session.  I took lots of photos. There's not much color exaggeration in this painting. 

Still being overwhelmed by the improbable colors I started doing a pointillist technique so I wouldn't have swathes of color to change.  Putting widely spaced dots over the canvas helped me judge the colors.  I was amazed at the sensitivity of the eye, and how long it would take to do an entire painting this way. 

Autumn Whitewater
5 x 7 Oil on Canvas Panel




When I first moved to the mountains I didn't understand that, unlike oceans and the great lakes, the breaking waves in whitewater are opposite to the water flow.

The photo is below,  proof that magic mushrooms were not used in the production of this painting.



I wish I could do an easy painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment