Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Day Eight - June on Roan Mountain

Painted today after a trip yesterday.  The pink flowers appealed after the intense cold.   Every June these Catawba rhododendron bloom on the mountain ridge on the North Carolina/Tennesee state line.
Unlike the other white rhododendron common to lower elevations of the Blue Ridge Mountains, these are pink and can be seen in extensive groves changing the color of the high peaks.

This painting is more about pattern than spatial depth, although I am experimenting with texture to indicate recession.  The simple color scheme was very manageable.

Painting everyday (almost) has encouraged me to make improvements to the studio.  I added another fixture today over the palette and a permanent paper towel rack to the side of paint stand.  I'm still struggle with the photography using only artificial light.  After seeing on You Tube, a video of a flameworked glass bead, which the artist made by duct taping her brand new Ipad to a frame behind her torch,  I was inspired to move my lighting into several absurd configurations.  The photo is an improvement, nevertheless I need to buy a SLR camera and a polaroid lens, which I hope will cut down on the glare from the oil paint.  I've been using Gamblin cold wax medium on dry oil paintings to minimize reflections.


Wild Rhododendrons
5 x 7 Oil on Canvas Panel









See you tomorrow.  Glad the Artic Vortex is no longer here.

1 comment: