Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Day Fifteen - Galax

I never heard of this plant until I moved to the Blue Ridge Mountains.  The galax turns maroon in winter, lending color to the mostly brown and green landscape.   I've been told it's valued as a florists' greenery, there's a business nearby that buys the leaves.  Since I'm surrounded by national forest, a permit is probably needed for harvest.

This painting is based on a fragment of a larger photo, which was cropped and enlarged.  The living leaf is smaller than a hand.

This painting was done by leaving the veins of the leaf white and painting in between.  Something like a watercolor.  I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to paint the pink into the wet greens.  Next time I will try painting the whole leaf and then scraping away the pattern of the veins to be able to add the pink.

Galax
6 x 6 Oil on Gessoed Paper

I am fond of this leaf shape which is comprised of half circles.  A big one on the bottom and two smaller ones on top.  It's really very geometric.


Today is the half way point, and I'm finding how much of a  commitment the daily painting really is.

See you all tomorrow. 

1 comment:

  1. Really like this one, Laurel. It seems to be glowing with a back light. Neat. Also, have just read through your other posts. Good work. I'm enjoying your words, too!

    ReplyDelete