Sunday, January 12, 2014

Day Eleven - Changing the Focus

It occurred to me today that the portions of the landscapes I've been painting could even be smaller.  Just the tiniest fragment of a scene, that focuses on the part I am really interested in, or the part that has given me difficulty in past paintings.

So the photo of a sunset over the mountains which features crespecular rays was mercilessly cropped.
I noticed that when enlarged, the clouds which were so white they were hard to look at, had a darker halo around them, as they thinned out and the sky show through.  It wasn't light blue, but a warmer color.  I don't have it right, but at least the clouds don't look like lethal dumplings, as mine often do.


Sunset Fragment
5 x 7 Oil on Canvas Panel



I took some photos today while on my walk of small things, either that caught my eye, or have been difficult to capture in previous landscapes, such as the shadow of ripples on the rocks in the river bottom.  So tomorrow there will be something new to paint!




2 comments:

  1. I like your cropping into a beautiful little part of the scene... very pretty and serene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jaime:

    Thanks for visiting. I paint because it can put me into a space of timelessness, an escape I discovered as a child.

    I checked out your blog for the 30 in 30. The prayer flags touched me, the significance of their disintegration never occurred to me before.

    Have a great painting day.

    ReplyDelete