Thursday, January 29, 2015

Day Twenty Nine - Adieu to Appledom

This will be my last posting for January.  This is my second 30 in 30 event and as last year, a fabulously enriching experience.   Given my physical therapy schedule, I knew before I started that 30 paintings was far too much for me.  Nevertheless, this was a fantastic opportunity to return to the easel after five months of not painting and eight months of not using oils. The support of working with other virtual artists is absolutely enormous.

Since there was a brand new operating system on my computer and a new-to-me camera, for which  there was no time to read the manuals, I was forced to blunder through as best I could.  Time saving in any event.

This last painting was done mostly at my weekly painting workshop, pulling out the traveling oils after a long time.  The apple is a bit fussy, having difficulty understanding the light in a different studio.  The background, as in the other apples still needs something, but I don't know what it is, remnants of an old Bob Dylan song.  But there is an improvement in the plasticity of paint and volume of the apple from the first apple of the Year.

I've made new online friends whose work I plan to follow in this New Year.  Unending thanks to Leslie Saeta who makes this all possible, what a gift we all have in her.

This weekend I am off to the Penland School of Crafts to make glass beads at the flameworking studio for a week.  Although I know I should devote myself to only one endeavor,  I haven't been able to give up the glass, which is so seductive.


Apple Eight
Oil  on Gessoed Paper  6" x 6 "


Fond regards to all my painting pals, see you online soon.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed looking at all your paintings and admired your series of apples very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Julie: Just had to look at your blog too. First thing I saw was the still life with the radishes and the leeks. Wow! What a feast for the eyes. And then the w/c on Yupo, that's so brave. Whenever I look at that stuff my eyes just slide right off it.
      Any chance you know Kathleen Deasy, an artist formerly in your corner of the world, now up here in the Blue Ridge with me, but hankering to return to NM ? Cheers. Laurel

      Delete
  2. Dear Julie: Just had to look at your blog too. First thing I saw was the still life with the radishes and the leeks. Wow! What a feast for the eyes. And then the w/c on Yupo, that's so brave. Whenever I look at that stuff my eyes just slide right off it.
    Any chance you know Kathleen Deasy, an artist formerly in your corner of the world, now up here in the Blue Ridge with me, but hankering to return to NM ? Cheers. Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on making it through another Challenge, Laurel. Your apples have all been lovely, but this last one especially so. Good job. Have fun at Penland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurel, It has been a pleasure to see your apples gathering during this 30 in 30. I am very proud of what you have accomplished and think it's GREAT that you are off to a totally different creative venture! Thanks for providing so many humor breaks during the challenge through your blog, too! Have fun...

    ReplyDelete