Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Comment on Day Six - Impasto Blues

With this impasto technique,  it seems difficult to judge values with artificial light.   I think daytime light which is more diffuse may be better.   It's just been difficult to get to the easel at an early hour.  I have a huge overhead CFL daylight and a similar CFL on a floor stand.  For me the shininess of the medium and the shadows cast by the thick paint are really challenging.  My goal was to make this painting brighter than the last, I did not succeed.

The technique seems very unforgiving in terms of brushes.  I have only two that work, Cheap Joe's Serendipity and a very old Grumbacher which is no longer manufactured.  That latter is my favorite since it has densely set bristles which are very flexible and responsive.  The other "big box" art supply brushes do not have enough bristles and leave streaks.

Carol Marine suggests using Bristlon, I substituted a Red Ruby, which just slipped around the surface not applying the paint.  The bright didn't bend enough to apply the paint a large quantity of paint.

The paintings are done on gessoed paper which may not be the best substrate.

I would appreciate any feedback from those of you who have mastered this technique.


3 comments:

  1. Interesting, reading about your brushes, but I don't see the painting... so, the only advice I can give is generic. How about trying a palette knife instead of a brush? I LOVE painting with a palette knife! To me, it makes the whole thing play instead of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The painting was posted earlier that day. Too brain dead to have anything to say. A palette knife. What a threatening concept! Now I'll have to try it. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh.... I was thinking "palette knife", too. Your painting looks like it was done with a palette knife - not a brush. Leslie Saeta is offering online palette knife classes for a very reasonable price. I've considered it myself, but...... (procrastinating again!)

    ReplyDelete