Friday, January 23, 2015

Day 23 - More Ten Minute Apples a la Carol Marine

This is a new page of ten minute apples.  The previous set of apples ( see the post before last)  was left unfinished at the suggestion of a fellow artist.  We both like it that way, still not sure why.

This time the background is a warm color which I was fighting it while painting, because the cobalt violet is so transparent.  The previous apples utilized a tube of London Winsor Newton cobalt violet, which may be student grade, and opaque. This time a very old tube of Grumbacher (circa 1968) with absolutely beautiful pigment.  In the last two squares I added titanium white for opacity.   I think I'll mix the violet and save the Grumbacher cobalt violet for later. Who knows if it can even be purchased anymore.

Just finished watching Wet in Wet painting video by Michael Chesney Johnson which inspired the use of black, a forbidden color.  It looked so easy to gray a pigment when he painted, I couldn't resist.  So with totally illicit feelings I pulled out my Mars Black and quickened the painting process.


Ten Minute Apple Exercise
Oil on Gessoed Paper,  3" squares

4 comments:

  1. LOVE seeing this, you are truly in the spirit of the Challenge and of this exercise, experimenting with different surfaces and paint combinations! Just think how much you will have learned by the time you fill in ummmmmm....how many more?!!!

    I'm curious, did you use the black paint for some of these little ones or did you mean you're using it on something else you are painting? Have fun, Laurel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a tad to modify the yellow. It turns green so some red was added too. What I'd been taught previously is to use red, a dark blue and raw umber to make a dark which is livelier than "tube" black. IMHO this is important if the dark is used as a color in itself, but for mixing in these small qualities I can't see a difference. And it sure is quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tenacity with the apples is commendable, Laurel!! I'm not sure I would have given them a first try, let alone a second.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tenacity with the apples is commendable, Laurel!! I'm not sure I would have given them a first try, let alone a second.

    ReplyDelete