Thursday, January 8, 2015

Day Eight

Since I didn't paint yesterday,  I looked at dozens of 30 in 30 participating artists.  I have an abundance blogs on my reading list now.

I received feedback from my Impasto Blues post, a palette knife should be tried.  If you are desperate enough to ask for advice why not take it?  I'm not even sure I have the right kind.  The first three tries were immediately scraped.  The fourth lasted until a late lunch, when I decided that the apple looked like a red billiard ball.  I almost scraped that too, but since it was going to be destroyed at any minute, I decided to take some risky moves which actually paid off.  Sometimes that works, more often it doesn't (IMHO).
Apple Four
Oil on Gessoed Paper 6 x 6

I was amazed at how much paint is required to use a palette knife.  I kept mixing more and more.
Also the values are not the same as when a brush it used.  The colors are much darker when applied with a knife.  I mixed colors that looked screaming bright and still needed to add more pigment and more white.  

4 comments:

  1. Yes! It looks fabulous...it DOES take a lot of paint...with acrylics, I can be thriftier with paint by adding medium to the paint...not sure if it works that way with oils, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear about your computer, that must be frustrating. And yes, medium can be added to oils, I added it.
      Hope you keep painting even if you can't post.

      Delete
  2. How fun to read that you tried a palette knife. Good job with it, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Susan. Hard to figure out how to use. Then I started to think about frosting cakes and bad spackle jobs. That did the trick. I am sure there's a lot more to it.

    ReplyDelete