Sunday, January 18, 2015

Day 18 - Ten Minute Apple a la Carol Marine

In her new "Daily Painting" book,  Carol recommends an exercise that entails ruling a paper off into 2 or 3 inch squares and painting an apple in each with a time limit of ten minutes.  She said that progress will be seen.  Well I saw progress in the first three apples, when the fourth looked liked an olive I stopped.  More tomorrow.



Another person in this challenge confessed that she took fifteen minutes for each apple while doing this exercise.  I premixed much of the paint, but I did hold to the ten minutes.  However using my phone as a timer didn't really work.  As the screen went blank I kept poking it, soon it was covered in paint.  Who has a clock these days?   So I hit upon this art project made by son many years ago.  Just perfect for timing apple paintings.


4 comments:

  1. You made great progress with the first three apples, Laurel. Good job. I hope you'll continue. Are you doing these with a brush or palette knife?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working with a brush, 3 x 3 is too small for the knife I've got. Plus doing these in 10 minutes, I barely know how to use the knife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried this excercise too. My first a few apple were terrible so I wiped them out but your apples look very nice !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really had to screw up my courage and then let go of the results for these. We had a show and tell at our painters' group Tuesday night and it was suggested I leave this sheet unfinished, an idea I like, not sure why.

    ReplyDelete