Saturday, January 10, 2015

Day Ten - Reflected Light and Backgrounds

One of my painting teachers, Arthur Gonzalez, manipulates reflected light in his studies, using the complement of the background as the reflected light.   So if a white ball is sitting on  a green cloth the reflected light would be red, rather than green.   I attempted that with this painting, but since the apple is both red and green, and placed on a red background things got a bit hairy.





Apple Five
Oil on Gessoed Paper   6" x 6"



There is something missing in the backgrounds, not sure yet what it is.  Perhaps the apples need to larger as in the detail below.   I thought about patterning, but that's too much to attempt in addition to the manipulation of the reflected light.



4 comments:

  1. I think your reflected light looks great,even though you couldn't use your teacher's method this time. Interesting commentary about your teacher's use of reflected light, and in the spirit of learning during the 30 in 30, I hereby request you complete a painting that does allow for you to show us this technique!

    Your blogposts crack me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurel, you always give me something to think about. Using the background's compliment for reflected light isn't something I've ever heard of before. It works beautifully in your painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting to know your teacher use complement colors for reflection. As Meredith said here, I would like to ask you to share your paintings when you use your teacher's method. And your apple looks great with green reflection too. I also like little bit of dark green on the apple shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Jiyoung: I fell off the edge of the earth this week, still catching up on things postponed in surgery recovery. Also getting ready for workshop right after this event. I plan to paint tomorrow. I sent Meredith an image of my teacher's exercise, but I don't know if you want to share your e-mail. I will try another complementary reflected light apple during this event.
    About the dark color in the lemons. During one of the AHA radio shows an artist, perhaps Carol Marine said that her goal was to mix a dark yellow.

    ReplyDelete