Saturday, January 24, 2015

Day Twenty Four - My Days at the Apple Factory are Numbered

Today in finishing this sheet I decided to mix the violet rather than use the transparent and expensive cobalt violet.  Also decided to make the brush marks less aggressive to see that result.

What I have learned from this exercise is that the apples can be painted more swiftly if there are individual brushes for colors and values.  One for the apples, another for the shadow and yet another for the background.

What else I have learned has yet to be revealed.  It's ironic that in another week I'll be at a glass beadmaking workshop where the work is repetitive and progress is measured over a period of time.



Carol Marine's Ten Minute Apple Exercise
Oil on Gessoed Paper  3" squares

4 comments:

  1. I try to keep separate brushes for different colors, but often find that I've just dipped into a dark color with my white brush. You might here me mutter "wrong color, wrong color" as I wipe the brush clean again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice !! I like all of them, especially the third one on top row. And I think I understand what you mean - having individual brushes for each colors and values. Very useful tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't create the separate brush idea. Check out Michael Chesley Johnson when you get chance,

      Delete
  3. I laughed out loud when I read your blog post title! So funny! You have done a great job at the apple exercise, and now that learning is part of who you are as a painter!

    ReplyDelete