Sunday, January 15, 2017

Red Rose

Before I painted the color and petal forms of this rose intrigued me.  But painting only that left something to be desired.  The form of the entire rose is not expressed which also means that the composition doesn’t work.  

Photographing the darker colors in previous paintings was difficult because of the glare, so cold wax is being added to produce a matte finish, but in this painting too much was added early in the process, because the paint layers are too thick.

Looking at the preliminary sketch I can now see that the composition doesn’t work.  What was I thinking??

Red Rose
Oil 6 x 6


3 comments:

  1. I'm not generally a flower person - but you give good "life" to yours - keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marty. I just looked at your pomegranates, before seeing your post. The color combination in the thumbnail is eyecathching.

      ReplyDelete

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete